Wednesday, November 17, 2010

The Assault on Privacy

The news of the last few weeks has been particularly vicious: the TSA seems to be groping everyone, including 3-year olds and the government tell us that we gave up our rights voluntarily.  In Colorado, the Supreme Court ruled that using a stolen Social Security Number did not constitute criminal impersonation (identity theft).  Laptops are seized at airports and not returned in reasonable time periods.  The list goes on and on.  I started this blog to document the growing assault on our most basic rights of privacy ingrained in the Fourth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution:
The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.
This is a monumental task, and I don't claim to be able to be comprehensive about it.  But with your help, we can begin to document the abuses and proclaim, as Howard Beale did, "I'm as mad as hell, and I'm not going to take this anymore!"

So I am seeking volunteers to be contributors to this blog.  I'm looking for anything from a link and a short blurb to analysis of court cases.  Nothing is too big or too small.  As a contributor, all I ask is that you keep an eye out for privacy-related news, and post something to the blog when you get the chance.  You can do it, I know you can.  Can't write well?  It's all good, because I can't either, but I try. :-)

Ping me on Twitter (@theprez98) or shoot me an email (mjsche-at-gmail-dot-com) and I'll get you added to the contributors list.  Thank you for doing your part in helping to protect our privacy!

No comments:

Post a Comment